Honor Roll Tournament Rules
1. Adopt A Reef and keep it lionfish free.
2. Catch and remove as many lionfish as possible in a safe manner.
3. Raise awareness on lionfish being edible, not poisonous.
4. Complete the online registration form.
5. Present one of the three valid identification cards
7. Submit the Lionfish Hunter Honor Roll Agreement.
8. Foreign visitors who wish to participate must accompany either a Belize Tourism Board licensed snorkel or dive guide or Belize Fisheries Department licensed fisherman. Their catch can be added to the registered hunter's catch.
9. Qualifying participants will receive a Lionfish Hunter card issued by the Fisheries Department once their registration in the Honor Roll is complete.
10. All boats used in the competition must be licensed with the Belize Port Authority.
11. Each boat must have on board a First Aid Kit, and ensure that “Vinegar and Hot Water” is available as quickly as possible in case of envenomation.
12. Tour Guides, Scuba Divers and Visitors are only permitted to catch lionfish.
13. Only approved and registered spears can be used.
14. No lionfish shall be removed from protected areas unless under the direct supervision of the protected area’s managing organization. Participants are encouraged to work with the protected area managers to remove lionfish from Adopted Reefs within MPAs.
Special Requirements for SCUBA
15. All scuba divers must have basic open water certification and must present dive card at registration.
16. Only three prong tridents are permitted for use in capturing lionfish while scuba diving.
Submitting Your Catch Reports
17. Culled lionfish must be reported within one week of capture in order to be counted in the Honor Roll.
18. Participants are encouraged to eat captured lionfish, or sell or donate to a restaurant or fishing cooperative.
19. The community will be asked to donate small prizes for most caught and largest lionfish for distribution each month.
20. Failure to comply with all rules of the Honor Roll competition will result in disqualification from the competition.